Weight and luggage restrictions on large air carriers
Most North American and European carriers limit checked bags to one bag per person and a maximum weight of 50 lbs/23 kg per bag (exceptions may include fly first class or gold card or higher status passengers). The size and weight of carry-on luggage may also vary depending on the airline. Charges for overweight checked luggage, sports equipment and extra bags will apply. Please check with your airline for further restrictions and specifications.
Winair weight restrictions / small air carriers
Windward Island Airways “Winair” has specific restrictions on both checked luggage and carry-on luggage. Each passenger is allowed one free piece of checked luggage with a maximum of 50lbs/23kg. In case of overweight luggage (up to 140lbs/64kg) extra fees will be charged and the luggage is only accepted on a space available/standby basis, which can lead to delayed baggage. During certain peak times and for travel to/from certain areas excess baggage may not be accepted. Unfortunately at this point there is no extra allowance for separate diving equipment for the airline.
One carry-on item of max 15lbs/7kg can be taken on board. We recommend to have one carry-on bag only, for example a backpack. This item needs to fit in the overhead luggage compartments or under the seat; carry-on suitcases will unfortunately not fit on board.
Please check with your airlines if the luggage needs to be re-checked for the inter-island flight to Dominica or if it will be sent automatically to your final destination.
Here are some tips on how to stay relaxed and keep smiling during your travels:
- Take your regulator and other small (but heavy) items in your carry-on luggage.
- The same goes for essentials such as medication and a set of spare clothes.
- Do you really want to carry all your heave dive gear down here? We have complete dive equipment available for rent, so save some extra space and weight for souvenirs to keep your loved ones at home happy! Please check our equipment rental page for specifications and prices.
- No need to pack mosquito repellants, we have them available at our hotel shop for purchase.
- The weather in the Caribbean is tropical year-round, it’s called Caribbean for a reason, right? Leave your warm (and heavy!) clothes at home, you will be just fine in a t-shirt and shorts (plus maybe a light sweater in the evening for the cold-blooded among us!)
- Our bathrooms already have everything you need: hairdryer, shampoo, shower gel, conditioner, lotion and soap. Everything else you might need, just put it in your carry-on (in case you have not done this already, we are sure you get the idea by now).